Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does the change on SAW have any potencial quality risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ALL,
I ordered a SAW filter, and the saw original spec as the attachment, which is not fit for my requirement.
Then the saw vendor modified the SAW, and got the modified spec.
The vendor said they use laser does the 0.25u change on the saw, and

Because my product is for high-speed railway, and has very high requirement on quality,
I wonder if the saw modify have potencial risk on quality?

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Modified.jpg
    Modified.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 58

I recommend you not to take this risk.Use a more reliable and self confident manufacturer.

you need to ask them!
It may be a standard manufacturing trimming technique to laser ablate metal off of the surface of the SAW filter. Precision resistors are commonly trimmed this way.
The question to ask them...is this a standard method of theirs, are they controlled for manufacturing processes (such as ISO certified, or provide SAW filters to Mil-Std quality), and if these SAW's were manufactured in accordance with all the required steps and quality controlled inspections and tests.
If so, get them to put that in writing.

You might get a few saw filters, put them in a test fixture, test, then burn them in at 125 deg C for a week, and compare test data before and after. Any shift in RF performance, especially increased insertion loss, will tell you if the process was not a stable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back