Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[mv] If I dont attach Capacitor Bank with my LCVCO circuit, what is the disadvantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

posiba

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design a LCVCO using TSMC. My f0 is at 2.45GHz. I have achieved it but not included any capacitor bank. Is that a problem?
Another thing I am getting my Kvco of 300MHz/V. Is it too large?

Re: If I dont attach Capacitor Bank with my LCVCO circuit, what is the disadvantage?

Capacitor banks are used to calibrate the VCO while the system is powered on.Because every die has some variations from nominal value of semiconductor process.In order to compensate these variations and to standardize the products, a calibration routine runs at the beginning of start-up.Also frequency drift occurs by temperature and aging , capacitor banks are used to regularize these drifts.
So, using spare circuits is a very well habit to maintain the same performance in any case of operation.
300MHz/V seems to me too high for a 2.45GHz VCO.Phase Noise will be so bad..But I don't know your required specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back