Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer-less solution for a AC voltage meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2zep

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to measure and log the power consumption of a AC device. So far I used an Arduino and an ACS712 current sensor and I assumed the voltage was always 230VAC as it's nominally stated.

However I noticed some variations on the voltage values which lead me to believe I need a more accurate measurement. My first try was using this simple circuit:

AC-Voltage_schem-768x224.png

This works fine on my breadboard but will be very difficult to implement on a pcb because of the transformer size. Can't afford to have even the smallest transformer in my already cramped board.

I will appreciate any help on designing a transformer-less of measuring AC voltage as an analog signal from 0 to 5 VDC.

Thanks!

One possibility that you could consider is the use of a linear optocoupler, such as the IL300 for example, but even this component requires a power supply on the non isolated side, but at least in that case the current consumption of the circuitry is constant, and probably a transformerless RCD power source (Resistor/Capacitor/Diode) would be able to feed it without generating too much heat loss.

One possibility that you could consider is the use of a linear optocoupler, such as the IL300 for example

You mean like this circuit?

pic 1.jpg

I believe the left side would be the non-isolated part (AKA the VAC input) and the left would be my analog output.

Both sides have op amps which would be the reason for your suggestion to use a capacitor power source on the right side.

but even this component requires a power supply on the non isolated side

(Please feel free to correct me if I got something wrong).

What I don't get is how to reduce the amplitude of the ac voltage in order to not damage my op amp?

Thank you for your reply!

I reviewed some application circuits for the IL300 and found the one you're talking about.

pic 1.jpg

However I fail to understand how a 230 VAC signal can be reduced enough not to damage the input op amp.

Hi,

However I fail to understand how a 230 VAC signal can be reduced enough not to damage the input op amp.
Usually with a 2 resistor voltage divider...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.