Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Third order butterworth bandpass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherif96

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a third order butterworth bandpass filter, I derived the transfer function using matlab which was composed of a 6th order which would give 3 quadratic equations, the resulting transfer function of the 3 quadratic equations are attached, I just have a quick question in regards to some basics, in the attachment of the transfer function, why the Wo and q differs from one stage to the other? and how can the wo/q term which is the coefficient of S in the denominator is not equal to the nominator which also should be wo/q based on the general formula of the bandpass filters? I understand this would result in some gain in the bode plot of the quadratic equation alone,however if i plot the second and third stage they both have a gain bigger than 0db while the first stage has a gain of 0db, the resulting gain of all stages is 0db which is what I wanted actually but I cannot understand how those building blocks results in my desired design when 2 of 3 stages have gain bigger than 0 dB?

Attachments

• Transfer Function.PNG
    Transfer Function.PNG
    76.1 KB · Views: 116
  • BP.PNG
    BP.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 116
  • MATLAB BPF.PNG
    MATLAB BPF.PNG
    89.3 KB · Views: 115

Hi,

you can not simply add "gain".
See every "gain" as a vector with it´s phase shift. Then add the vectors.

Klaus

Oh yeah it makes sense now, another question why do cascaded stages have different wo and different q ?

Hi,

I´m not an expert for cascaded filters.

Afaik this is urgent to get "butterworth" behaviour.
I assume it is not possible to get butterworth behaviour with equal stages cascaded.

Klaus

Oh yeah it makes sense now, another question why do cascaded stages have different wo and different q ?

Example: Two identical Butterworth stages (n=2, 3db frequency at w=wo) in cascade will have at wo a damping of 6 db (each stage contributes 3 dB).
Hence, the two identical wo values must be lower as before in order to achieve 3db attenuation at the desired frequency.
However, the composite function will not have a Butterworth characteristic anymore. Hence, both Q-values must be modified accordingly (see filter tables).

Status
Not open for further replies.