Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronous Reset and Load STA and SR feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwb

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have synthesized a shift-register with feedback and adjustable feedback taps. I have two questions:

1) The SR has a load and a reset, both synchronous. Both load and reset signals come from off-chip and are not synchronous to the clk so I have sent them both through FIFO synchronizers. My question is, should I be doing a "set_false_path -from reset" (and likewise for load) in the timing constraints? The job of the synchronizers is to make sure that the reset/load signals don't violate hold time of the DFFs so my inclination is to not ignore the path. My worry is that this will cause p+r to try to find a difficult route.

2) As I said, the SR uses feedback meaning, I can choose a tap, (not any tap only 31,32,63,64) , and feed that back into the input. The feedback tap is also the output that goes to another part of the circuit. A few years ago, I built this circuit and taped it out as part of a bigger design. At high frequencies(>1GHz) it performed well, however, lower at lower frequencies(200MHz), the output signal would "die" after 30 seconds. The theory was there was not enough/too much decap in the clock buffer but I have no real way to verify this. Any ideas? Any pitfalls with feedback that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

I have synthesized a shift-register with feedback and adjustable feedback taps. I have two questions:

1) The SR has a load and a reset, both synchronous. Both load and reset signals come from off-chip and are not synchronous to the clk so I have sent them both through FIFO synchronizers. My question is, should I be doing a "set_false_path -from reset" (and likewise for load) in the timing constraints? The job of the synchronizers is to make sure that the reset/load signals don't violate hold time of the DFFs so my inclination is to not ignore the path. My worry is that this will cause p+r to try to find a difficult route.

2) As I said, the SR uses feedback meaning, I can choose a tap, (not any tap only 31,32,63,64) , and feed that back into the input. The feedback tap is also the output that goes to another part of the circuit. A few years ago, I built this circuit and taped it out as part of a bigger design. At high frequencies(>1GHz) it performed well, however, lower at lower frequencies(200MHz), the output signal would "die" after 30 seconds. The theory was there was not enough/too much decap in the clock buffer but I have no real way to verify this. Any ideas? Any pitfalls with feedback that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Attached below is a simplified schematic showing the circuit and feedback. Also shown is a simplified diagram of how and why Im sending the reset through a synchronizer even though the DFF's are synchronous reset. The "load" signal loads "load_val" into the shift register via a selector mux and is not shown. The load signal is synchronized the same way as reset, and selected via a mux, this is also not shown for simplicity.

I don't see the point in "set_false_path" for load or reset because they are synchronous after the synchronizer and are essentially data signals. sr_question.png

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back