Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS voltage regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

neighborj

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new here and this is my first post so take it easy on me please. My name is Jason and I'm very green in the area of electronics.

I want to build a switching voltage regulator for pilot duty use in a welding machine. I kinda laugh when I say pilot duty because this control circuit operates at 120v DC @ 10A and is currently using a very large wire would variable resistor to adjust the voltage. It supplies power to shunt coils in the main generator of a 300A CC gasoline driven welder.

My intent is to use a lm317t to reference the output voltage via a voltage divider and create a 0-10v analog signal. This signal can then be fed into a voltage controlled frequency generator (555 timer). The output of the 555 can then be used to provide a square wave signal to the gates of paralleled mosfets. I suppose it is a linear to digital converter design. I don't know if this design is feasable and i cannot find any circuit designs to reference. I've simplified the description to avoid an excessively long post.

My goal is to use this hybrid design to eliminate much of the linear design heat loss and to be able to control the voltage via a potentiometer. Noise is not a big concern because it is only supplying power to a shunt coil and the power is being provided by a exciter generator, this is WWII technology. I intend to later modify the circuit for CC or CV, this should open up the possibilities of using this welder for other welding processes.

I suppose the real question is are there other better designs which i can use or other similar designs i can use? I'd rather not need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks, Jason

Is this Coil Being Driven with AC?
Not Likely with Mosfets Controlling AC?

More likely to use a Triac Controlled LIGHT DIMMER.

What is the Range of Current to the Coil?

No this welder is DC only. The exciter generator makes 125vDC and the main welding generator makes an open circuit voltage of 80VDC and when loaded it should make 25vDC @ 300 amps max.

A triac would possibly work for an ac machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.