Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would fabricate a 2.4 GHz LNA prototype using 0402 components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a 2.4 GHz LNA prototype using 0402 components and FR4 board. Would you print out the schematic using OHP sheet and laser printer for the etching processes? What width size transmission line would you use? and the most important question, how would I solder the components on? would the etching and soldering process require any expensive equipment, where you would only find at a company or university (may I have to use a Mask SDE-3 or something)? would I be able to make this the same way as: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-PCB-Etching/, since my components are much smaller in size?

Thanks,

If that board has Transmission Lines and other specific layout drawings, don't try to fabricate the board by yourself.Fabricating such boards at home may create trouble..
There are many high quality-low volume PCB manufacturers in -especially China.

If that board has Transmission Lines and other specific layout drawings, don't try to fabricate the board by yourself.Fabricating such boards at home may create trouble..

I was thinking about going to a University and ask if I can use some of the equipment there, or if someone else could help me out. What would you think about this idea? Wouldn't you think if I had my own experience with the fabrication process, it would be a valuable skill for someone for a microwave/RF job?

Last edited:

Wouldn't you think if I had my own experience with the fabrication process, it would be a valuable skill for someone for a microwave/RF job?
No, PCB manufacturing engineering is an different era and an RF Microwave Engineer should just know about PCB manufacturing techniques for general knowledge only.

which PCB manufacturer in China would you recommend for a simple design, like mine?

How much does it cost for manufacturing a simple LNA PCB and assembly? what would be the cheapest place to get my PCB and assembly made?

- - - Updated - - -

Or should I just get my PCB manufactured and then solder the components on myself? because I am only using 23 components*2(PBS's) and I was using PCB-way and they were asking for $159 just to solder 23 components on the pcb, is this reasonable?

- - - Updated - - -

$159 for 2 pcb's with assembly

Last edited:

What PCB manufacture do you use? and do you have to pay over $100 for it to be made? do you let the manufacture design the pcb and then you assemble the pieces into the board? I am using SMD btw

Allpcb are good. Oshpark are popular for hobbiests too and might be easier to use than a Chinese company for your first PCB.

Solder the components by hand with a fine tip iron.

Consider going to 0603 and life will be easier. They are still small at 2.4ghz.

I tried to use china manufacture for pcb design and the price was tolerable, but when I asked for assembly (having them solder the components on the board), They were asking for $88, where I could buy twice the components myself for probably less than $20. If you have built your own prototypes, would you have the pcb manufactured and then you would assemble the components, or would you have them do it for you? I don't have a lot of money and it would be better if I can do something for cheaper, even if it may take a week to build a skill that could save me a lot of bucks. I just want to see your perspective on this, because maybe you believe its better for a manufacture to do it because it may effect the performance of my circuit?

Re: How would you fabricate a 2.4 GHz LNA prototype using 0402 components?

I actually meant $88 for service + $35 for 1 assembly with 23 components. Plus, I also had to buy for PCB design which was $47. In total, PCB board, assembly, and components is $170 just for a small (2X2)'' pcb, does this price even make sense? When you design your own pcb prototype with 0402 SMD components, would you just get the PCB manufactured and then you assemble the components on the board?

That sounds cheap to me. When these compabies do assembly they expect it to be on their pick and place line. They need to stop other production runs. Program up the placements. Load your components and inspect the output. This applies double for 0402

That sounds cheap to me. When these compabies do assembly they expect it to be on their pick and place line

When it comes to prototype scale, I would bet that this board would be assembled by hand, particularly in China, where some people's handwork ability is remarkable, but 0402 is always difficult to weld other way than by P&P, therefore this is a good reason to not manufacture just one unit.

1 assembly with 23 components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back