Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding gain vs Pout plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateek3790

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Gain is Pout/Pin. So it can tell about input power. 1dB compression point is coming from the gain vs. Pin or Pout curves. Where the gain drops, the distortion increases and harmonics appear in the spectrum. I think this is the reason why it is useful.

Gain is Pout/Pin. So it can tell about input power. 1dB compression point is coming from the gain vs. Pin or Pout curves. Where the gain drops, the distortion increases and harmonics appear in the spectrum. I think this is the reason why it is useful.

thanks for the reply, one reason is to tell the amplifier class as well. https://k9la.us/Characterizing_an_RF_Power_Amplifier_with_Pin_and_Pout_Data.pdf
However what i am struggling is to understand is the behaviour for a particular power level.

suppose i am giving pin = -8dbm, now how to tell the gain change between high and low power mode, do i need to do pin = pout - gain just to see for same pin how much output power as changed.

Gain v.s. Pout is for estimation of deviation from linear operation, e.g. BackOff.

Pin has not much meaning in power amplifier, since we can measure only Pout.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back