Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommended a low cost uC with CAN peripheral for high power converter unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!

I am wondering if there is a strong uC which is able to withstand hard noisy conditions because it is going to work inside of a high power converter which handles very hich currents and voltages (1500V - 500A). Previously, we were using a FPGA because people said that it has a better performance than uC in noisy environments. But implementing a CAN interface in a FPGA is not free and we are thinking to move to one uC with the CAN peripheral integrated. Can anyone gime some recommendation about manufacturer and type of part?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

In my eyes the key to success is a good PCB layout.
I use AVRs (in plastic cases without shielding) in indstrial units with much higher voltage and current ratings.

You may improve ruggedness with a shielding case and filtering on every IO, signals as well as power lines.

Klaus

Thanks KlauST for quick answer,

I could imagine that a a good PCB layout in crucial on this kind of proyect. I was thinking that maybe there was a uC family specialized on harsh environments...

Anyway, do you know if there is a document or something in the web to read and learn about PCB design focused on this kind of environments? Or maybe you can give short tips here in order to have a brief idea about how complex can be this kind of PCB... I have experience doing EMC/EMI high speed PCB layout but not experience in harsh industrial environmente.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

In my eyes the key to success is a good PCB layout.
I use AVRs (in plastic cases without shielding) in indstrial units with much higher voltage and current ratings.

You may improve ruggedness with a shielding case and filtering on every IO, signals as well as power lines.

Klaus

Hi,

If you have experience with EMC/EMI you already know very important things.

I strongly recommend to use a complete layer just as GND plane. No copper fill, no routed traces within the GND plane.
Place all filter capacitors as close as possible to the signal destination, with short wiring to the GND plane.
The shorter the traces, the better. Trace width is not that problematic.
The smaller the whole PCB the better. SMD components. Round or square PCB is better than a lengthy PCB.
Traces that are in parallel to the magnetic field lines ar not problematic, but 90° to magnetic field lines are.
If possible: use a metal (Fe) case.

Klaus

Cool!!!

thanks so much! And my last question:

In me previous designs I have never splitted the Analog GND and Digital GND. It was the same GND plane for erverything...Should I consider to split the AGND and DGND in this design? I am afraid because maybe I can have some conducted noise in the temperature sensor wires (NTC)....

Greetings KlauST.

Hi,

If you have experience with EMC/EMI you already know very important things.

I strongly recommend to use a complete layer just as GND plane. No copper fill, no routed traces within the GND plane.
Place all filter capacitors as close as possible to the signal destination, with short wiring to the GND plane.
The shorter the traces, the better. Trace width is not that problematic.
The smaller the whole PCB the better. SMD components. Round or square PCB is better than a lengthy PCB.
Traces that are in parallel to the magnetic field lines ar not problematic, but 90° to magnetic field lines are.
If possible: use a metal (Fe) case.

Klaus

A continuous ground plane is a prerequisite for suppressing interferences. Use filters for all external connections at the board border.

Hi FvM!!

Thanks for the answer. When you mean "filters for all external connections at the board border" you mean doing something like this using CHOKES and caps? :

example.jpg

Greetings,

A continuous ground plane is a prerequisite for suppressing interferences. Use filters for all external connections at the board border.

Status
Not open for further replies.