Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Copying PCBs in Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
I have a product which comprises many different PCBs. I am laying them all out in the same windoww (.brd file). One of the PCBs must be duplicated. However, when i copy it and try to paste it back into the .brd file, it just tells me it cant be done, and says error message "cant back annotate..."

Do you know how i can duplicate it and have it in the same .brd file?

It saves me from laying out the board all over again.

Hi,

open the destination in the SCH and BRD windows.

then go to the Control panel window. but let SCH or BRD window visible -- for drag and drop function
with the mouse: press the left mouse button to select the "source" schematic or board you want to copy -- (don´t release the mose button for now)
then additionally press the "Ctrl" button at the keyboard - and don´t release it. The mouse-curser should show a "+" symbol
Then move your mouse to the "destination" SCH or BRD window
Release the mose button where you want to
Release the keyboard button

Klaus

Reactions: mtwieg and treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

mtwieg

Hello treez,
I haven't tried KlausST's suggestion, but to copy an additional PCB,
you must do it to the .sch file first.
It can't back annotate because you haven't a schematic for the copy
you want to make. Therefore you need two identical schematics in
the .sch file that needs to be copied in the .brd file.
I hope the above makes sense.
Regards,
Relayer

Reactions: treez

T

thnaks, yes it makes good sense, but how will the component designators of the pcb circuit that i am copy-pasting know that they must accord with the corresponding copied subcircuit in the schem window?....or does Eagle just work that out?

Hi,

Try it.
If you drag and drop the board it will include the schematic, too ... and vice versa.
For sure it renames the devices.

Klaus

T

Hello Klaus,
Sorry my friend, but I'm a bit confused with your method of duplicating a .brd or .sch layout.
I have been trying to do your method of duplicating a .brd file, but I'm unsure how to do it via
your instructions.

press the left mouse button to select the "source" schematic or board you want to copy

Lets say I have my .brd and Control Panel up at the same time. I need to click the board layout itself,
hold the left mouse button, then press and hold the Ctrl button as well? Move the cursor to an unoccupied
area of my board layout, then release the mouse button and then Ctrl?
If the above is the case, then its not working for me.
Or should I be doing the clicking in the Control Panel?

Any help with the above would be most appreciated.
Thanx in advance.
Regards,
Relayer

T

Hi,

I don't understand.
I clearly wrote:
then go to the Control panel window. but let SCH or BRD window visible -- for drag and drop function
with the mouse: press the left mouse button to select the "source" schematic or board

Then the cursor should show a "drag and drop" icon.
When additionally pressing the "ctrl" button it shows a "drag and drop icon with + sign".

In short: "drag and drop" from control_panel_window to BRD_window.
Mouse_key_down at"control_panel_window...mouse_key_release at the brd_window.

Klaus

T

Hello Klaus,

press the left mouse button to select the "source" schematic or board

What "source"? On the Control Panel? I see nothing that says "source".

"drag and drop" from control_panel_window to BRD_window.

Drag and drop what from the Control Panel window?
By left clicking the Control Panel window, then pressing Ctrl button does not give
me a "drag and drop icon with + sign"

Once again, any help with the above would be appreciated.
Regards,
Relayer

T

Hi,

You drive me crazy.

What "source"? On the Control Panel? I see nothing that says "source".
For sure there is nothing named "source". --> Nobody knows the name of the .BRD or .SCH file you want to copy.

Now with pictures:
Prepare the EAGLE windows:
* board window - visible (it contains the .BRD where you want to copy something. It is the "destination")
* schematic window - visible (the schematic belongs to the board)
* control panel - visible (it containes the board which you want to copy = "source")

Now let´s say I want to copy "BG36-V5.BRD" --> into "Atmega8" board:
* You see the control panel. There is the BG36-V5.BRD. This I want to copy. It is the source.
* you see the BRD window. It contains the Atmega8.BRD. Here I want to paste the BG36-V5.BRD. It is the destination.
* You shee the schematic. It is the Amega8.SCH. Note there is only one sheet of Atmega8.
EAGLE_CnP1.png

EAGLE_CnP2.png

EAGLE_CnP3.png

Klaus

Reactions: kcagiran and treez

T

kcagiran

Hello Klaus,

You drive me crazy.

Nice. I'm glad. :smile:

If you would have just explained that I needed to open the "projects" sub-folder under "Name", I
wouldn't have needed to ask you so many times to be clearer. :roll:

You know, you get very upset at members on the Forum for not being clear on what they want in
their posts, yet you seem to get pissed when someone asks you to do the same thing.

So, who's right?

Thanks for clarifying all this now, and yes, your method is a much better way for copying. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Relayer

Last edited:

T

Hi,

You know, you get very upset at members on the Forum for not being clear on what they want
True, that´s my bad attribute, I know. I can´t stand to repeat something several times.

If you would have just explained that I needed to open the "projects" sub-folder under "Name", I
wouldn't have needed to ask you so many times to be clearer.

I didn´t thought about this.. Do you really need a dedicated explanation on how to use the control panel?
Isn´t it similar to
* open a Word file via a file explorer
* or how to google for "xyz"

There are two kind of people in a forum:
* The ones ho ask for sth and gain from a discussion
* And the others who help - but don´t gain from the discussion.
And - in my personal opinion - the person who gains from the discussion should show the most effort ... to make it easy for those who want to help.

Yes - I get impatient - and ask again for information. This is the hard way for me ... to find a solution for the member.
Or do you think I should go the easier way: simply stop to respond.

Klaus

T

Hello Klaus,

I didn´t thought about this.. Do you really need a dedicated explanation on how to use the control panel?

I rarely use my Control Panel. I always go to my projects directory and double click either the .sch or .brd files.
I do use it when I need to create a Library component, run a script or a ULP. ALL my creations I make myself.
i.e. PCB etching.

Yes - I get impatient - and ask again for information. This is the hard way for me ... to find a solution for the member.

In many instances I cannot blame you for being impatient, especially when they should be using Google first or ask the most vaguest
question/s.
But some members (mainly newbies), may not have a clue on particular subjects of electronics. They legitimately think that seeking
answers from a Forum is much easier, as well as thinking that they will get expert information from the senior members, rather than
going to websites that don't include what answers they are really after.
I have to say often when I place a subject in Google it gives me something completely different. Plus going to a website and reading
pages of stuff, only to find that my question wasn't answered.

Here is an example, and its one I'm still searching for:

I am building a stereo audio headphone amplifier for two of my grandchildren but the circuit I was given works extremely well, but
the range of the volume pot is woeful. I only need to give it a quarter turn and its already at full volume. Yet this was designed
this way to work well. I had spent ages in Google with zero results.

I will be inquiring about this later in the Forum, with diagrams, explanations etc. As I'm in no way an audio guru.

Or do you think I should go the easier way: simply stop to respond.

No way. The forum will suffer a terrible loss if you were not responding to queries.
You are an extremely intelligent and knowledgeable person. And when I review most
of your responses to questions, you are extremely thorough, concise and it stands out
how well you know the subject.
Many other members here are extremely knowledgeable as well, that's why I enjoy
this Forum over many others.

Please keep up the good work Klaus, I really mean it.
Regards,
Relayer

Hi,

The Control panel has good features. You will find it useful, especially to add / copy packages or device in library mode.
But other features are also good, like to use the project, or the HTML style views with pictures, tables, links...
I recommend to play around with it.

I am building a stereo audio headphone amplifier for two of my grandchildren but the circuit I was given works extremely well, but
the range of the volume pot is woeful. I only need to give it a quarter turn and its already at full volume. Yet this was designed
this way to work well. I had spent ages in Google with zero results.

I will be inquiring about this later in the Forum, with diagrams, explanations etc. As I'm in no way an audio guru.

Start a new thread.
We (the forum members including me) will find a solution.

Klaus

T

Hello,
Thankyou very much for this.
The problem i am having is i cant seem to get the two files in the right hand side of the control panel. I can only get one file there. I cant seem to get it like post #9 above, kindly sent in by Klaus.
The atached are my Eagle files. I am trying to copy the board from file "two" and put it into "one"

Attachments

• Eagle files.zip
    97.2 KB · Views: 91

Hi,

each of the screenshots of post#9 show:
* EAGLE CONTROL PANEL window (left side) => select file_two
* EAGLE BOARD window (right top) = file_one
* EAGLE SCHEMATIC window. = file_one
3 windows at once.

There is only one file open in the CONTROL PANEL (the (source = file_two) file you want to copy)
There is only one file open in the BOARD window (the destination board = file_one)

You need to use the "drag-and-drop" function to ADD the file from CONTROL PANEL (mouse down) window to BOARD window (mouse up)

Klaus

T

Thanks Klaus,
I am using Eagle 7.4, i dont seem to have the "drag and drop" function.

What it is, we need two 6w buckboost converters on the same board...i have layed one out...and just want to copy paste it so a have two on the same board.

- - - Updated - - -

I managed to do it by just having the .brd files open alone (without .scm), but then i got "board and schem not consistent error...no back annotation will be performed).
I wonder if i have to copy/paste an entire board, and not just a small bit of layout?

Hi,
I am using Eagle 7.4, i dont seem to have the "drag and drop" function.
I´m pretty sure it has the drag-and-drop function.

I wonder if i have to copy/paste an entire board, and not just a small bit of layout?
With the shown drag-and-drop function it is not possible to select just a bit of a board, because you select the text "file_two.brd" (you don´t select a picture of a board).
Thus the complete file_two board with all it´s schematic will be copied.

Just strictly follow the 6 steps of the top picture of post#9.

Klaus

Attachments

• NewEagleFiles.zip
    76.8 KB · Views: 82

T

Wow, I'd been using eagle for years without knowing this could be done, despite actively searching for such a method quite a bit. I was able to get it to work with my 6.6.0 version.

Eagle has sorely lacked hierarchical design features forever. I've heard that autocad is developing hierarchical design functionality, but that will only be available to people with version 8 and later...

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back