Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Analysis in EDA tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierh.santiago

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings,

I got total power consumption of 190mW using Design Compiler and 64mW using Encounter after pos layout. To be honest, I was expecting a larger number in Encounter. Can you explain if those results are normal ? i.e. getting a smaller value in encounter with a reduction of ~66%.

Regards,
Francisco

Impossible to say what has happened, there are many different optimizations and parameters that are not shared between tools. Generally speaking, this is not normal.

Greetings,

I got total power consumption of 190mW using Design Compiler and 64mW using Encounter after pos layout. To be honest, I was expecting a larger number in Encounter. Can you explain if those results are normal ? i.e. getting a smaller value in encounter with a reduction of ~66%.

Regards,
Francisco

It requires more information to give you answer.
Do you see the detailed information beside these total numbers ? E.g dynamic, static power consumption, which components contributes to the consumption ?
We can see large differrence on tool in case that different libraries were used.
Please ensure the library is corresponded to each other in term of power consumption info.

is this power calc number reported using annotation file - if not then i would not look at total power and may only look or try to correlate with leakage power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back