Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What effect does an L shape probe due to the antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netscapt

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What effect does a L shape probe do to the antenna?

I notice that some antenna design use L shape probe feed. What is the benefit to do so?

When I try it on HFSS, bending the probe reduced the height of my product. But bending it changed the length of the probe to match the 50ohm impedance.

When I bend the probe into L shape, I also noticed that it is not necessary to touch the antenna with my probe. Will it makes the return loss larger?

Was there any article to discuss about the shape of the probe line? For a AC signal, what will happen when a sine wave pass through a curve transmission pec?

Thanks so much.

Re: What effect does a L shape probe do to the antenna?

Can you show an example of the antenne shape that you refer to?

Can you show an example of the antenne shape that you refer to?

example.jpg

This is the example, it is a L shape probe with short. It seems it increase the bandwidth of the antenna. What is the theory of this design and how does it affect the E field and wave transmitted?

Yes, it is a PIFA.

Also the probe in this design is in L shape and have no direct connection with the patch. I want to know why they decided to make the probe in L shape, and is it possible to make it into other shape (like ring)?

Thanks

Sorry for not clarifying. The black line was the probe. The blue plane was the ground and yellow was the patch and short pin.

Also the probe in this design is in L shape and have no direct connection with the patch.

The typical PIFA design is to have an ohmic (direct) connection between your black feed and the orange radiator, where the location of that connection determines the input matching. It seems that your design requires a weaker coupling, realized by capacitance between the parallel feed probe and radiator. I haven't see that before. My best guess is that the shape to implement the capacitance doesn't matter, as long as capacitance is the same, but I don't know.

It seems it increase the bandwidth of the antenna

I have doubts about this statement.
In any kind of resonator a week coupling (as this L-coupling) would actually decrease the bandwidth, compared to a direct coupling approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back