Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Bypass battery for micro usb direct power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaP_Productions

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to messing with electronics for the most part. I know a few things but this is the first forum I have been in and my very first post.

My question has to do with arc lighters. I am modifying it to make a prop for a ln an amateur film. I tore one apart and was wondering if I could bypass the battery and have it work just while being plugged in. Not sure how the wiring would be set up.

Second questiin is about the black box with copper wire rolled up in it. I am wondering if this can be removed/altered in size someway to fit my application.

Any info would be great. The deeper in yoi can go the more ill learn and I am eager. Such as explain what the black box is and how it works. Thanks!

Pics attached but arent that great sorry for the dog hair haha. I can remove the tape if better pics are required but it holds that wound up copper wire filled box in place.

Attachments

• 0321181336b.jpg
    0321181336b.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 0321181336a.jpg
    0321181336a.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Sorry for the late reply. Below is the link of the lighter that the guts came from. Hope that helps. Otherwise how do I find out the obtainable current from the supply and the required current for use? I actually need more arcs so maybe building something from scratch will be best to make it applicable.

Any info on how these things can be made would be awesome. Such as the required distance to make the arc. Then I can make the arcs on the object and as many as I want.

Sorry I do not know much about arc lighters and their power requirements.
To measure Ampere draw my digital multimeters have a 10A range. Do not connect a battery directly to an ammeter. It may seem like a natural method to measure its Ampere output but it is like short-circuiting the battery, and could ruin it.

The $21 meter is adequate for general use around the house. Or you might find a $10 sale at Sears or hardware or auto parts store.
Be careful, a fuse may blow if you send overmuch current into the milliAmpere ranges.

Obviously you're hoping the micro usb direct power can supply sufficient juice for your arc lighter. Do you plan to keep the battery connected in the circuit? If so then you need to be aware of the risks about overcharging, overheating, fire, explosion, etc.

I dont plan on leaving the battery in but thatnks for the info. Are you able to tell me what exactly the black box is with the copper wire bound up inside?

The coil probably is an inductor or transformer used to step up voltage. It appears to have a protective layer of stiff plastic around it. If you're not careful you may get a shock. This type of circuit usually provides tiny current, therefore the shock is unlikely to injure you even though it's painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.