Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in Current Mirror used in RF design

Status
Not open for further replies.

noor84

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpg
I am designing CS LNA and I need to use current Mirror design first.
I have Error with Transistor 2 when I simulate with ADS as shown in the figure,
Please, I attached tow Pics, first for the circuit of Current Mirror and the other for the message Error in ADS.
I have some equations hope to find the answer.
1- why the current not mirror in my circuit? i.e(Idc not equal with I R1Kohm?? especially when I make VDD=3.3V.
2-the Error with ADS program what is this?

Many thanks to you in advance.

How much is the difference between the currents of M1 and M2? If it is less than 20%, it can come from the different drain voltages (channel length modulation).
The iteration numer is quite high, I don't know, maybe the transistor widths are too high. Show us a transistor model you are using.

dear frankrose,
thanks for ur reply,
the currents I need are the same.(not matter)
concerning the "The iteration number is quite high" what did u mean?
I take Transistor Model from the internet for "SPICE 3f5 Level 8, Star-HSPICE Level 49, UTMOST Level 8".
Is this make any sense for the design simple current mirror?

I hope to hear from u and all the other colleagues .

thank u once again.

I get you need the same currents for both transistors, but how much are the currents now? You wrote those are not equal, but how much is the difference? Or both are 0A?
It is a very simple circuit, the only source of problems should be the transistors if it is not working as you wish. Sometimes the model needs different pin names on the symbol.
I have never used ADS actually, I haven't seen this error message before, but 89 iterations seem to be high for a DC simulation I guess.
Try to simulate the models with other SPICE, like LTSpice. Maybe it help you to find out what is going on.

200um/0.18um W/L ratio might not be allowed by the model and it's probably constrained.
Why you use this unusual "funky" ratio ??

200um/0.18um W/L ratio might not be allowed by the model and it's probably constrained.
Why you use this unusual "funky" ratio ??

Dear BigBoss,
First of all, many thanks for your reply,
Concerning the ratio, I just assume any value that is the same just to confirm the process parameters that I imported it into ADS.
Please, I am waiting for your reply
thanks

Dear BigBoss,
First of all, many thanks for your reply,
Concerning the ratio, I just assume any value that is the same just to confirm the process parameters that I imported it into ADS.
Please, I am waiting for your reply
thanks

The semiconductor models are valid under some circumstances.They are not all the time valid and unconstrained for any value-any case.
Therefore ADS may have given this error.

The semiconductor models are valid under some circumstances.They are not all the time valid and unconstrained for any value-any case.
Therefore ADS may have given this error.

Dear BigBoss,
Please, may you guide me how can I confirm my process parameters that imported to ADS?
Concerning the process parameters for (0.18um), I took it as a text file from some website then I imported it in ADS. that's right or no?
Also. I made the extension of the text file as (.cir) and another time as (.spi) in instead of (.txt), what about this? true or falls?
Thank you once again.

Dear BigBoss,
Please, may you guide me how can I confirm my process parameters that imported to ADS?
Concerning the process parameters for (0.18um), I took it as a text file from some website then I imported it in ADS. that's right or no?
Also. I made the extension of the text file as (.cir) and another time as (.spi) in instead of (.txt), what about this? true or falls?
Thank you once again.
I don't know how/what you did it but PDK should be properly installed onto ADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back