Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proteus 8 generating hex file

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmelect

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As a long time user of Proteus 7.x I recently tried Proteus 8.6 to do an assembler project for the PIC microprocessor. I managed (after a lot of trying) to get the program to assemble and the simulator to work, so far so good. However I can't find out how to get Proteus 8 to generate the hex file to program into the real PIC device. I know I can generate the hex file using an external assembler, but it would be a lot of work to change the source file to that required by the external MPLAB assembler, as the Proteus assembler requires a number of changes to be made.

Not long ago I generated the Hex file for a code which had not any difference for each environment, compiling either from within Proteus, as well as on the same compiler, but now externally (by its own IDE), and I noticed a significant difference in size of generated files; The file generated on Proteus did not work at real device, only on simulation, but I did not go further to check the reason. I would recmmend you have a look at the makefile file as well as the build parameters in Proteus to check if there is any difference in terms of optimization or any other aspect.

If you have to make changes depending on each environment, you could think about adding #ifdef directives wherever there are changes on code in order to instruct compiler to make conditional assembling. By the way, are you generating this file on release or debug mode?

I can change the build parameters to make it generate a hex file, unfortunately it generates a debug.hex which is no good for programming devices as it contains nop instructions for debugging.
I don't understand
By the way, are you generating this file on release or debug mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back