Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1/(f^3) corner should be lower or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego.fan

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm reading papers of VCO which mention 1/(f^3) corner should be reduced to optimize phase noise. But in my opinion,the slope of phase noise lower than 1/(f^3) corner is -30dBc/dec, and the slope of phase noise higher than it is -20dBc/dec. In this case, 1/(f^3) corner should be as high as possible to let phase noise decrease quickly. May I ask where I'm wrong? Thanks.

I guess the reason is the choice of the common PN reference point of -120 dBc/Hz @ 10 MHz :

Fig3._PN_reduction_of_(a)_the_RVCO.png

As lower the f-3 corner, as lower the PN noise below this reference point.

Hi, I'm reading papers of VCO which mention 1/(f^3) corner should be reduced to optimize phase noise. But in my opinion,the slope of phase noise lower than 1/(f^3) corner is -30dBc/dec, and the slope of phase noise higher than it is -20dBc/dec. In this case, 1/(f^3) corner should be as high as possible to let phase noise decrease quickly. May I ask where I'm wrong? Thanks.

Because you confuse the "The Contributors of the Phase Noise". Research these contributors ( in many textbooks ) where they come from..

I guess the reason is the choice of the common PN reference point of -120 dBc/Hz @ 10 MHz :

View attachment 145468

As lower the f-3 corner, as lower the PN noise below this reference point.

Thanks for the picture. Could you please expain more about "the choice of the common PN reference point of -120 dBc/Hz @ 10 MHz"? And what's the reason that lower 1/f^3 corner frequency has lower phase noise?

- - - Updated - - -

Because you confuse the "The Contributors of the Phase Noise". Research these contributors ( in many textbooks ) where they come from..

无标题.png

In this picture, if I reduce 1/f noise. the corner frequency will shift to left because thermal noise keeps constant. 1/f noise is transformed to 1/f^3 in phase noise domain. Thermal noise is transformed to 1/f^2 in phase noise domain. May I ask if the corner frequency in this picture is the same as 1/f^3 corner in phase noise domain? If they are the same, then I think I can answer my question.

Could you please explain more about "the choice of the common PN reference point of -120 dBc/Hz @ 10 MHz"?
I guess several different ring-VCO + type-II PLL systems with the same phase noise at this reference point have been compared, which have different f -3 corner frequencies. As shown in Fig. 3. (a) of this paper, the phase noise below this reference frequency is lower, as lower the f -3 corner frequency is.

And what's the reason that lower 1/f^3 corner frequency has lower phase noise?
I think this is well explained in the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.