Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weeping marine battert

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeshoe2

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I store my marine battery in my basement furnace room during the winter months, however this winter I noticed a continued discharge from one of the vent caps. The water level is about 1/2 inch below the vent, and the bottom side of the vent cover is dripping wet. What is causing this and should I replace the battery ?

I had a similar thing happen with one of my lead-acid batteries. Either using water or acid I filled cells to the proper level. Large glass doors allowed sunshine in the room. One or more cells overflowed. There was no apparent cause. My theory is that I overfilled just enough to cover the open slot in the lower rim of the plastic fill hole. This sealed the compartment. Then either hydrogen gas was generated, or air within expanded in the heat. Anyway it pushed fluid up the fill hole, and out of the battery housing. It was a one-time occurrence. I don't think it ruined the battery but I don't suppose it helped.

Look closely at the entire fill hole structure, in case you spot anything abnormal. Do you have a hygrometer? Test concentration in all the cells. Charge the battery. (L-A batteries prefer to be stored fully charged.) Test afterward with the hygrometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back