Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bulk connection in NMOS transistor biasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I know from my circuit theory lecture.NMOS bulk is connected to ground/source terminal/most -ve voltage in ICs and in PMOS the bulk is connected to VDD/source terminal/most +ve voltage in ICs. However in FDSOI technology bulk/body can be connected to some DC voltage. I would like to know in NMOS when to connect it to ground and to some DC voltage ,advantages and disadvantages of both ways

nmos bias.JPG

Bulk driven MOS is used for low voltage operations. It removes the threshold voltage from the signal path because signal is applied at bulk. Secondly it helps in linearity improvement as it inherently attenuates the signal.
But it increases the input referred noise. Chip area, parasitic capacitance increases.

Bulk driven MOS ... removes the threshold voltage from the signal path because signal is applied at bulk.
So you need a twin/triple well (for NMOS) or SOI process - if you want more than a single stage.

Secondly it helps in linearity improvement as it inherently attenuates the signal.
I.e. it's not suitable for amplification? And could you explain how attenuation improves linearity?

Hi
I know from my circuit theory lecture.NMOS bulk is connected to ground/source terminal/most -ve voltage in ICs and in PMOS the bulk is connected to VDD/source terminal/most +ve voltage in ICs. However in FDSOI technology bulk/body can be connected to some DC voltage. I would like to know in NMOS when to connect it to ground and to some DC voltage ,advantages and disadvantages of both ways

View attachment 145379

For nMOSFET in FDSOI:

- negative body bias --> higher Vt --> lower leakage (good) and lower performance (bad)

- positive body bias --> lower Vt --> higher leakage (bad) and higher performance (good)

GlobalFoundries provides some useful material on body biasing in FDSOI:

https://www.globalfoundries.com/sit...ology-new-dimension-to-explore-the-design.pdf

https://www.globalfoundries.com/res...uccessfully-implement-22fdx-fd-soi-technology

Reactions: erikl

erikl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back