Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charger module for LiPo Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

akinet

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this question. So, if I'm wrong, excuse me.

I am trying to repair a tablet that is fully operational but the usb port is broken, so I cannot charge its battery. I have ruled out the possibility of replacing the usb port because of the complexity of welding such small tracks. So I am thinking in charge the battery directly, because it's easy to connect a charger to the battery cables. The battery inside is a LiPo battery 6500mAh. I have found the specifications on this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/26130147-3-7V-6500MAH-lithium-polymer-battery-backup-power-supply-3-7V-Tablet-battery-Rechargeable-batteries/32835152639.html

Specifications:
1,Nominal voltage:3.7V;
2,Standard charge and discharge at 1C

Feature:
3.7v lithium battery pack for psp battery
Charge current: standard 0.2 C5A and maximum 1C5A
Charge cut-off voltage: 4.20 0.03V
Standard discharge current: 0.2C5A
Maximum discharge current: 2.0C5A
Discharge cut-off voltage: 2.75V

I don't understand what is the meaning of C5A.
So I would like to know, what specifications should have a charger module to connect directly to the battery? I am worried about risk of overheating and explosion.

I have seen several charger modules but I am not sure if they can charge this battery without problems.

Module 1
Features:
Battery over discharge protection voltage: 2.5V
Battery over-current protection current: 3A
Support charging&discharging at the same time

Parameter:
The input voltage: 5V
Maximum charging current: 1000 mA
Charge cut-off voltage: 4.2 V + / - 1%

Module 2
Description:
1.Module type: Lipo Battery Charging Board
2.Charge mode: Linear charging
3.Charge Current: 1A
4.Charge precision: 1.5 %
5.Input voltage: 4.5V ~ 5.5V
6.Full charged voltage: 4.2 V
7.Led indicator: Red is charging, Blue is full charged

Module 3
Features:
2 in 1 charge and Discharger(boost) modules
Charge voltage : DC 4.6V-8V(Recommend DC 5V)
Charging current : 0-1A
Full charge voltage : 4.2V+-2%.
Led indicator : "OK" LED is fully charged OR battery failure status indicator;
"CR" LED is charge status indicator

Discharge current : 0-2A;
Discharge quiescent current : 450uA
Discharge conversion efficiency : 78%-90%

Output current : 0-1.2A(5V);
This module without lithium battery over-discharge protection.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can these charge modules work fine for that battery? Should I look for different charger modules?

Regards.
akinet

The datasheet for the battery is in a foreign language. The English datasheet might explain the spec's better but AliExpress is Chinese and might have a translation problem.

Hi,

I wouldn't like to comment on the power supplies in case I were to give bad advice. Battery University should answer lots of your questions, hopefully. Scroll down to the second comment, too, maybe it'll save reading the whole useful article:

What Is C-rate?

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
C-rate is the capacity current. 1C is the battery's mAh rating, 2C is double the mAh rating etc. Some of the Li-Po batteries used in my radio controlled model airplanes have a discharge C-rate of 70 times the mAh rating and a maximum charging current of 5 times the mAh rating. The batteries become warm and the motor would melt if it wasn't cooled by the airflow caused by the propeller and flying.

Thank you for your answers?

I am newbie with these concepts, so can the charge modules (I have described) work fine for that battery?
All have a charging current of 1A, so I suppose it's not dangerous to charge the battery with any of these charger modules. Is it right?
Could be better to use #3 that have discharger module?

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back