Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase size of C drive without formatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I want to increase the size of my c drive without formatting which is completely full. My laptop is in dual booting i.e., Windows 10 and fedora linux. In the partition in which fedora is installed there is sufficient free space, so would like to know if i can shrink the space in linux to increase the space in windows c drive without formatting, is it possible?

Sincerely,

Rahul Chakraborty

A utility called Partition Magic reputedly does what you want. It's top-rated and costs money.
Doubtless it will caution you to back up everything on the disk. You may decide it's better economy to buy a larger hard disk, especially if the old disk is at all unreliable.

Hi,

Another option:
Delete all useless files, move files to another partition / drive.
Maybe the OS has some option to compress data ... to safe space.

Klaus

Hi,

I dnt think if it is possible to move any file from c drive to any other drive.
What reason?

Klaus

Hi,

for sure you can´t move all files to another drive.
But I assume most of them.

Klaus

Hi,

As well as the previous suggestions, have you looked into partitioning, extending and reducing volumes in Windows (10)? There's lots of info out there to check if it'll scrub files you want to keep in the process or not - I do not remember at present and I've only done partitions when installing the OS when that is irrelevant. That's important to check for - whether it does or doesn't delete your files in the process. You could reduce C and extend wherever Fedora is if it works without formatting. Partitions and Volumes is interesting.

There are those duplicate file hunting programs that help locate and offer to delete unnecessary duplicate user files.

Clutching at straws here to free up space: Have you seen if C has a lot of junk files that could be deleted and done the disk tidying thing Windows provides for disc - not SSD - hard drives?

On Win8 I can show how, maybe it is the same on Win10.
Computer> rt mouse> Manage ... > Disk > d > rt mouse> shrink (Linux) then repeat for C> expand

C drive has system files, program files etc. I can't take these to d or e drives.

You are correct.

But your files are in "My Documents" and they can be shifted. If you want to shift other files, you will have to reinstall windows.

There are many ways to reduce the size of different partitions- I have used Gparted which runs either from a live CD (ubuntu) or can be run from the fedora itself.

(This is not a full instruction and be careful anytime you are playing with the disk partitions)

- - - Updated - - -

C drive has system files, program files etc. I can't take these to d or e drives.

You are correct.

But your files are in "My Documents" and they can be shifted. If you want to shift other files, you will have to reinstall windows.

There are many ways to reduce the size of different partitions- I have used Gparted which runs either from a live CD (ubuntu) or can be run from the fedora itself.

(This is not a full instruction and be careful anytime you are playing with the disk partitions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back