Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved again]: Comparator for SAR ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

assemelgohary

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building BLE receiver, and I am responsible for the ADC block, so currently I am designing the comparator and I have several questions. The ADC is using SAR logic, it is 11 bit and the sampling rate would be 10 MS/s. So first I want to know what is the required speed of the comparator and how to calculate it?

secondly, I am now designing the basic comparator to learn through it how to control the comparator and then I am going to design a StrongArm Comparator to be lower in power. So I have attached the basic comparator schematic Basic.PNG basic comparator.png

I have made all transistors in the saturation region ( 2 ) in the DC analysis, and now I want to know the gain of my preamplifier and how to judge my comparator to know good it is?
so how should I know the gain of my preamplifier ? ( I have used ac analysis and plotted ( Vx - Vy / Vinp1 - Vinp2 ) but I am getting a very small gain and i know that the gain of the preamplifier should be in the range of 2 to 10 ?

so basically my question how to measure the gain what are the inputs i should include ? what type of input sources should i use ? my Vcm is 750 mv , I tried to insert a sine wave from one input with dc value 750 mv and ac amplitude 10 mv and from the other input an ac amplitude of -10 mv, but the gain was too small ? so also i have got another question which is how to control the preamplifiers gain ? is it just through the W/L of the differential pair ?

After all that I want to know what simulations i should do and what analysis and inputs i should use to design my Comparator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.