Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reverse polarity protection for the circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkates2218

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
TA11Fig01.gif.png
Hai friends.I need to protect the micro controller circuit from wrong power supply given in input.
So i need an reverse polarity protection circuit.I surfed on internet and got an idea for reverse protection.
they simply connected an diode to protect the circuit from wrong connection.Please refer the image file.Is this method is correct.

In my circuit:
1.Max Input Power supply =24VDC
2.Max Load =1A

Yes it works, however I do not like the idea of shorting the supply. Another method is to use FET, which gives a lower voltage drop.

Seriously I won't expect such an unelaborated question from an experienced Edaboard member who frequently posted in the power electronics section.

I believe you can find many answers yourself, most of it referring back to an exact specification of circuit conditions.

Circuit a) is commonly used, as CataM mentioned, there are better circuits in term of voltage drop. Does it matter in your application? E.g., if the diode is followed by a linear regulator, it usually doesn't matter which part drops the voltage difference. Different with an efficient SMPS.

Circuit b) is only acceptable if the input source is current limited or fused, and the diode rated for the short circuit current.

Status
Not open for further replies.