Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low voltage 455KHz ceramic resonator BFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said low voltage, 1.5-3v. The link you posted uses 12v.
I suggest to think yourself instead of complaining in the first place. The linked circuits are using zero Vgs bias (operating the FET at Idss), they will work well with low voltage. Just drop series resistors or voltage regulators.

I suggest to think yourself instead of complaining in the first place. The linked circuits are using zero Vgs bias (operating the FET at Idss), they will work well with low voltage. Just drop series resistors or voltage regulators.

This particular circuit did not work at all in my case. And I winder why, since it is a pierce oscillator, straight forward. But it did not work neither at 12v.
Maybe it is because I did not use the drain choke, I do not know what to say.
This one worked fine https://www.eleccircuit.com/low-volts-crystal-frequency-generator-circuit/ even with no buffer stage, but only for crystals.
I do not know why it does not oscillate using ceramic resonators.
This is the simplicity I am looking for, since The space inside the radio I need to include the circuit in, is very limited.

But it did not work neither at 12v. Maybe it is because I did not use the drain choke.
Yes, the choke is required for the design. Suppose it neither works without a transistor...

This one worked fine
It uses a drain choke, too. Can we conclude that you didn't omit it in this case?

This oscillator may be able to operate in the range of your desired supply voltage. The LCC arrangement is not the same as a ceramic resonator but maybe you can adapt the concept for your purposes.

oscillator LCC half-bridge 450 kHz under 1V DC supply.png

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This oscillator may be able to operate in the range of your desired supply voltage. The LCC arrangement is not the same as a ceramic resonator but maybe you can adapt the concept for your purposes.

View attachment 145318

Thanks very much.
I know I said ceramic resonator at the topic, but I found that their frequency varies a lot with in-circuit parasitic capacitances. Instead of adding more components to trim the frequency, I have decided to try a 455khz transformer in which the frequency can be trimmed by the transformer alone. Here is the circuit I have tried.
With just 4 components, it works perfectly ok down to 0.5v-0.6v and the output is clean as far as I can measure on the FFT, I suspect due to the resonant collector LC. The bjt choice does not seem to be critical at all.
I think it is called a tuned collector oscillator but I am not sure, since on tuned collector, both windings of the transformer are used. Or maybe it is that kind of oscillator https://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/35c.htm

Attachments

• 455khz.jpg
    455khz.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

can't see your circuit .

- - - Updated - - -

now i got the attached circuit(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com