Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Official abbreviation for "mega samples per second"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrallypure

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello! What is the official (IEEE) abbreviation for "mega samples per second", Msps, MSPS or MSps? Has this been standardized (and if so, where?)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jorge.

It seems in the recent trend is actually "MS/s". Despite I don't like it (to me it reads "Mega-Siemens-per-second"!), I guess I have no better alternatives...

I have seen a lot more MS/s than the others.

Hello! What is the official (IEEE) abbreviation for "mega samples per second", Msps, MSPS or MSps? Has this been standardized (and if so, where?)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jorge.

To my knowledge capital letters (like "S" for samples) are used only for metric prefix (M for mega, G for Giga and T,P,E) or for units derived from forename (Ampere, Kelvin, Pascal, Newton, Watt, Celsius, Volta, Ohm, Faraday, Henry, Weber, Siemens, Joule, Tesla, Hertz, Becquerel, Sievert, Gray). I would rather use Msps as an corect abbreviation.

If you look here (I don t know if it is not out of date) you will find there is no sample abbreviation, and see capital letter "S" is for Siemens and the tiny "s" is for second.

But as i said, i ve seen more MS/s than Msps, because if you are talking about sampling rate, I really doubt someone would traduce MS/s by Mega Siemens per second... It would be odd.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. In the end we've decided to follow the flock and go for MS/s. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back