Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Honeywell air flow sensor Data reading analysis issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirmit27

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I2C Communication for Honeywell pressure sensor

Hi

I am using Honeywell pressure sensor to measure pressure of air in a pipe.

for this have to use I2C Communication with pic PIC16F1787

circuit for this Capture.JPG

is my Circuit is perfect ? Help me out
in programming side i used I2C protocol
for Honeywell air pressure sensor's Digital I2C address is 0X49.
to reading data from sensor
the program flow are 1st master send data to slave
>send start condition
> send Digital address (0X48)
> stop condition
2ndly read data from slave means slave response to master
> start condition
> Digital address (0x49)
> than reading data

moreover for same program for RTC DS1307 slave
i am getting data from RTC with RTC address in same program but i am not even getting garbage value for Honeywell sensor for same I2C pin and configuration

so is there any programming change for this particular sensor
is there any additional change for this sensor for I2C protocol programming

Data sheet of Honeywell sensor is
https://sensing.honeywell.com/honey...ow-10-slpm-300-slpm-datasheet-008268-5-en.pdf

please help me out

--

Thank You

Er. Nirmit Patel

Re: I2C Communication for Honeywell pressure sensor

Hi,

Perfect... what is perfect?
I2C is a standardised interface. There are free specifications available. Go through them.
If you meet all the specifications it should be perfect.
But this is not only a hardware problem...it is a software problem, too.

What do we see?
Microcontroller: power supply and clock is missing and the whole circuit to program it.
LCD and it's connections: has nothing to do with I2C. Power supply missing, contrast circuit missing.
Honeywell sensor: It surely needs a power supply.
Two resistors: Please read I2C specification about resistor values. I don't have them in mind.

All the issues are "real world" issues. But I'm not sure if your Honeywell communication is a simulation problem or a real world problem.

Generally...what do you need for a proper I2C communication:
* power supply. Urgent. Some devices work with 3.3V, some with 5V, thus reading the datasheets is essential.
* I2C signal levels. --> datasheet
* I2C timing --> datasheets. The master clock frequency should be equal or smaller than the least specified frequency of all interface partners.
* correct addressing--> datasheet. The most confusing is that some datasheets tell a 7 bit addres )that needs to be shifted) and some give an 8 bit address. Proper addressing is simply verified by checking the ACK bit.

But what we don't see is the wiring. Short, low capacitance wiring. Use a scope to verify the signal quality.

Code:
>send start condition
> send Digital address (0X48)
> stop condition
I assume there is something missing. Indeed it does nothing. Check datasheet if this procedure is correct. Afaik every datasheet contains a communication diagram.

Klaus

Which sensor do you exactly use? You are talking about pressure sensor, but the datasheet is for a digital flow sensor.

The sensors are shipped with different I2C addresses. Did you check the type code in this regard?

Which sensor do you exactly use? You are talking about pressure sensor, but the datasheet is for a digital flow sensor.

The sensors are shipped with different I2C addresses. Did you check the type code in this regard?

sorry it flow sensor only
yes in data sheet they provide I2C address

The program flow in post #1 doesn't make sense. You'll only send the write address, if you want to submit an actual command, e.g. power-on reset. Otherwise you'll only use the read address.

I suppose that writing 0x48 respectively 0x49 is probably misunderstanding the address notation used by Honeywell. They are interpreting the leftmost 7 bits as address, respectively you'll write byte 0x90 and 0x91 as write and read address.

- - - Updated - - -

Or more likely 0x92 and 0x93, as the address is said to be 0x49.
I2C Slave Address is the 7 Most Significant Bits for the first transmitted byte

I notice that the data sheet has a typo in the write sequence, R/W bit erroneously 1, so other details may be wrong as well. Ultimately you can try all possible read addresses to see which get an acknowledge and data output.

I don't see where you check that I2c slave device responding. When you send address it should return back ACK. Otherwise it is no point to continue communication.

The program flow in post #1 doesn't make sense. You'll only send the write address, if you want to submit an actual command, e.g. power-on reset. Otherwise you'll only use the read address.

I suppose that writing 0x48 respectively 0x49 is probably misunderstanding the address notation used by Honeywell. They are interpreting the leftmost 7 bits as address, respectively you'll write byte 0x90 and 0x91 as write and read address.

- - - Updated - - -

Or more likely 0x92 and 0x93, as the address is said to be 0x49.

I notice that the data sheet has a typo in the write sequence, R/W bit erroneously 1, so other details may be wrong as well. Ultimately you can try all possible read addresses to see which get an acknowledge and data output.
Thank You
now i am reading data through I2C with your address 92 and 93

hi
Please help me out for Honeywell Airflow sensor for reading proper date with appropriate Flow value.
i am getting some data which in increasing by blowing sensor means if air is passing air flow value is increasing
but i am unable to measure actual flow rate. i am not able to read proper sequence given in data sheet of sensor....
how many byte of data to read...how many bit to discard and when to start reading.
i want help in reading proper data for airflow but am not getting what exactly datasheet explained in it.
i am attaching datasheet snapshot and full datasheet too

https://sensing.honeywell.com/honey...ow-10-slpm-300-slpm-datasheet-008268-5-en.pdf

https://sensing.honeywell.com/honey...irflow-sensors-technical-note-008210-5-en.pdf

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
--
Thank You

Er. Nirmit Patel

You are apparently mixing documents of two slightly different Honeywell digital flow sensors. They seem to differ regarding which data is send in the first reads after startup but both are said to send 14 bit flow values after the startup. There's an additional option to request specific data by a write command, but you should be able to work without it.

You are apparently mixing documents of two slightly different Honeywell digital flow sensors. They seem to differ regarding which data is send in the first reads after startup but both are said to send 14 bit flow values after the startup. There's an additional option to request specific data by a write command, but you should be able to work without it.

both documents are same only..one is data sheet and 2nd is its technical note
ya "regarding which data is send in the first reads after startup but both are said to send 14 bit flow values after the startup. "
i read all this but my doubt is i am not able to get actual data and not come to know actual sequence of Reading data.
what to request first ??? for reading data and what next for flow rate ?

The data sheet is pretty clear about it. You do repeated 16 bit reads, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.