Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to prevent automatic VIA FILL during METAL FILL option in INNOVUS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anklon

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I use "Route->Metal fill-> add " option in INNOVUS , along with the metal dummy layers, it also place many vias across the core. I have found no option to prevent this. Why this via's are placed along with metal fill ? what kind of purpose this serve ?

There is an option for via fill in "Route -> via fill -> add" so that one can include via fill if needed. I have found no need to add some vias along with metal fill by default .

My DRC rules does not check for VIA FILL percentage, so I was thinking to about that for now. But If I do not perform VIA FILL after METAL FILL , via's placed during METAL FILL operation causes DRC error.

Any link of resources for better understanding will be appreciated. I'm using TSMC180 technology.
Thank you for your time. :)
[SN: I have posted this question before. As this question have some common concept related to my previous post, moderator make this post as a comment of that previous post hoping people from that post could answer that. After coup of day, as I get no feedback or response I decided to post it as individual post.]

When I use "Route->Metal fill-> add " option in INNOVUS , along with the metal dummy layers, it also place many vias across the core. I have found no option to prevent this. Why this via's are placed along with metal fill ? what kind of purpose this serve ?

There is an option for via fill in "Route -> via fill -> add" so that one can include via fill if needed. I have found no need to add some vias along with metal fill by default .

My DRC rules does not check for VIA FILL percentage, so I was thinking to about that for now. But If I do not perform VIA FILL after METAL FILL , via's placed during METAL FILL operation causes DRC error.

Any link of resources for better understanding will be appreciated. I'm using TSMC180 technology.
Thank you for your time. :)
[SN: I have posted this question before. As this question have some common concept related to my previous post, moderator make this post as a comment of that previous post hoping people from that post could answer that. After coup of day, as I get no feedback or response I decided to post it as individual post.]

I have explained before that new technologies have tight requirements for metal AND via density. Very simple concept to grasp.

You are using a very old technology, where via fill was not critical. The tool is doing what it should do for newer nodes. You can simply delete all vias after they are added instead of trying to wrap your head around the problem.

I understand your explanation before. But I'm confused that, if INNOVUS automatically perform via fill along with metal fill than why there is another option for via fill? what it actually do when I select "Route -> via fill -> add" when it automatically add via fill during "Route->Metal fill-> add ".

And I'm also looking for an option to turn of this automatic via fill.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 162

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back