Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trace width calculation for metal clad PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayd85

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a standard/calculator available to calculate trace width for designing metal clad PCBs? Many calculators available online can only calculate trace width for FR4 PCBs based on the IPC standard. I understand that due to better thermal performance of metal clad PCB, the temperature rise of the trace will be less compared to FR4 PCB for the same amount of current, thus providing more current capacity. But is there a standard or a correlation (maybe a formula) available, with which we can translate the trace width values for FR4 PCB to metal clad PCB?

Have you tried the Saturn PCB calculator?

Yes, I did try Saturn PCB calculator. In fact that was the first thing I tried. Saturn PCB Toolkit does not offer any specific method to calculate trace current for metal clad PCBs.

You more or less have the trace with a plane very near, use that figure in Saturn and you should be ok as a start point, anything else you will have to measure and qualify yourself, hence why I use the IPC-2152 figures from Saturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back