Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS simulation for EM wave metamaterial absorber

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark0550125

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I have faced some challenge in HFSS. I want simulate two coil . One is transmitter coil, TX,and the other is Receiver coil, RX.
Then RX is placed on the metal plate,so the transmission efficiency decreases owing to eddy current on metal plate according to Lenz's law.
Thus, I want to design the metamaterial to absorb EM wave and avoid reverse magnetic field caused by eddy current decreasing transmission efficiency between TX and RX.
The following is my structure ,exitation and boundary.

11.jpg
12.jpg
13.png
14.png
15.png
16.png

I want to take use of equivalent LC circuit of this metamaterial to absorb EM wave.
So, I expect that S13 (transmission efficiency) with metamaterial is better than with metal plate.
But my result doesn't match my expectation.

Here is my problem:

1.How many Lumped port should i assign? Are 4 Lumped ports OK?

2.Whether I have to assign another boundary ?

3.Whether anyone has another suggestion about Exitation because I have no idea how to simulate the absorption of my metamaterial.
So far , I just compare different condition (with metamaterial or with matel plate ).

Thanks greatly much .
I have been confused for a long time.
I need to mention that I take use of this metamateraial structure to realize whether my boundary and excitation is fine.

Welcome mark0550125,

A resonator is not necessarily an absorber. Keep this in mind.

To answer your questions:

1) 4 lumped ports should be ok if they're being driven in out of phase pairs.
2) Ensure there is a radiation boundary on your enclosing air box.
3) This should be a good start; comparing these conditions should give you data on frequency and quality factor of the resonance.

Good Luck!

Thanks to PlanarMetamaterials .

So,is it possible for resonator to absorb EM wave or reduce reflection of EM wave?

About my question 2 (Whether I have to assign another boundary ? )
I have checked that I indeed had assigned the radiation boundary on your enclosing air box.
Is there another boundary I should notice?

About my question 3
I want to ask how to calculate the absorption of the metamaterial without two coil .
For example ,is it possible to assign two excitation in enclosing air box ,and then I can show S12 to realize how much is absorption of the metamaterial

Thanks greatly much.

So,is it possible for resonator to absorb EM wave or reduce reflection of EM wave?

It is possible, yes.

I have checked that I indeed had assigned the radiation boundary on your enclosing air box.
Is there another boundary I should notice?

That should be all you need!

I want to ask how to calculate the absorption of the metamaterial without two coil .

You can simulate just your resonator, and put it in a PPW (long rectangle with PECs on one pair of sides, PMCs on the other, and waveports on the ends) to get scattering parameters, but it is severely unlikely to produce a response similar to that of the coils. Again your best bet is to compare the coil performance with and without the resonator.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back