Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to place files onto another computers drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, I want to put my files on another drive, and thought it would be cool if I could share my folders with another computer, so if something happened with this computer, I could still retrieve everything from my other computer; its just like when you go to University you can place your files onto another drive and retrieve it at another computer in the same network. So, I tried to do this and I was able to read the information from my other computer in the drive, but not able to place files into the other computers drive and I get this message all the time: https://imgur.com/a/lQPfj. please help!

- - - Updated - - -

this is what happens when I try to change the settings in preferences and try to gain full control, but I get that message and also an access denied, do you know how I can fix this?

thanks

The 'other' computer must be in shared mode . If you try to access other computer without setting parameters in that PC , and if you have no control on it then no file can be transferred.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
try to gain full control

The aim is to network two computers. Neither has to 'control' the other. Networking is tricky. Several things need to be correct for it to work, in addition to advice in post #2. It's easier if both computers are running the same OS. You need to make sure your wifi is secure. (That is, if you use wifi.) You may need to wait a minute for one computer to recognize the other. You may need to power down and restart one or both computers, and more than once.

There are other options. You can find them described and compared on the internet. One option is to have an external hard drive. The connection might be via USB cable (hooked up to one computer at a time). Or it might be networkable via ethernet or wifi (more than one computer can read and write to it).

The cryptic error message says it all: access denied.

You do not have authority to write a file in the target computer. You need to worry about access control. You do have read permission (that is why you can read files present on the target computer) but no write or execute permission.

The most likely reason is security: as you are not a hacker (then you should not be asking this question here), you need to approach the administrator of the target computer to grant you required permissions.

It is possible that he may not agree. In such case you can use you computer in the network mode and you can access all files on your computer from the remote machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try to telnet or ssh into the target computer? If running windows, you need to install putty (or something similar).

If no success, then (most likely) the target machine is configured against remote access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back