Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8x2 microstrip patch array problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeseyler

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I am working on a 8x2 patch array and I have some problems creating the proper feed network.
The frequency is 9.4 GHz, I use Rogers RO4003 (dielectric constant 3.55) with 0.508 mm (20 mil) thickness and 35 μm copper cladding.
I have a lot of results, so I will attach a lot of pictures and ask a lot of questions, but any help would be appreciated :)

First I tried to create a 2x2 array similar to that shown on figure 1, so I can create something similar like shown on figure 2.
I designed a single patch first (results on figure 3) then a 2 element array (results on figure 4).

Then here comes the problem. When I created a 2x2 array, I had no space to get the feed line to the midpoint (see figure 5). I put a coax feed there and simulated it to get the results, but I need to create 4 of these 2x2 arrays and feed them with microstrip lines, so I need some solution for that.

I saw 2 possible solutions for this problem (figure 6), but I don't really find the details about them. I tried to do the first one, but I don't know how should I bend those lines? I bent it in 45 degree and joined the lines together, but the results are bad even for 2 element array (figure 7). I guess something is wrong with the bending of the lines. I can make 90 degree bendings with good results, but this 45 degree bending produces very bad results.
And what is the second solution? I assume I should feed the pairs of the patches with different phases because they are in opposite direction. But why is that? And what is the phase difference?

I also saw a 8x2 array created in a different way which is shown on figure 8, but I don't understand where is the feed for that array? I created a 8 element array (results on figure 9) for that purpose, but how do I proceed?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• fig1 - 2x2 array.jpeg
    fig1 - 2x2 array.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 101
  • fig2.png
    fig2.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 93
  • fig3 - patch results.png
    fig3 - patch results.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 99
  • fig4 - 2 element array results.png