Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what kind of capacitor and inductors should I use for LNA design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What kind of product type of capacitors, inductors, and resistors would you use for a 2.4 GHz LNA design? Im using ATF-54134 transistor.

Last edited:

I believe small standard resistor and capacitors chips are just fine, e.g. 0402 size, also 0402 wirewound air core inductors and GHz ferrite beads.

Yes, you can use normal components. I think you meant ATF-54143, not ATF-54134. In this case be careful because many components formerly Avago (now Broadcom) have been placed in obsolescence. Have a look to "https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/amplifiers/low-noise/" the document "Product Obsolescence Notice OBS120117WSD3, Dec. 2017" that comprises ove 1000 components (not only LNAs)

Do all of the components have to be the same size? even for the DC components? like blocking capacitors and DC feed inductors?

thanks

It depends. You should preferably use small components due to better RF behavior, unless power rating or component value require a larger package.

After making the initial design, don't forget to use the actual S-parameter files for these components (from manufacturer library). Simulating with ideal components is ok only in the very beginning.

i have used some pretty cheap capacitors, up as high at 26 Ghz. But they tend to be smaller size, and not too high of a capacitance value (high capacitance means high dielectric constant material, and the more likely they are to self resonate). In general, you toss a few in series with a 50 ohm microstrip line, and sweep the S21 and see if there are any shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back