Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal generator for ADC testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

s55

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to test an 1GSPS ADC to measure the SNR, by applying 3~400MHz sine input signal. At least two signal sources are required to do this: one for sine input signal, and the other for clock source of an ADC. As a researcher, I'm trying to purchase the signal generators, using my research funding.

Basically, I need 2 external signals for testing. Here is my question.
I can buy two signal generators, each of which has a single output channel. Or I can purchase one generator which has two output channels. Which one is better?

The ADC clock source will be usually designed into the signal processing board, I don't see a purpose of using an external generator. For the sine signal, you'll refer to a standard RF generator.

FvM, thanks for quick answer.
Unfortunately, I don't assume a clock source on the board that is usually a crystal, since my ADC samples at 1GSPS, and crystals support way too low frequency compared with 1GHz. Actually, the following link shows my target setup:
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/eval/hsc-adc-evald

I thought first of available digital clock synthesizers that could be integrated with the board, but I realize that you may want a low phase noise clock source to fully utilize the ADC performance. So a high quality lab generator might be preferable. Still think that separate instruments are more flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back