Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Physical and Electrical Design constraints for first multi-layer design

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabaYaga

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am designing my first multi-layer design, I wanted to know what all design constraints I need to input to the design, what are the most important parameters, I have USB, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet and LVDS display interfaces, Display port and two processors. The system has some control signals which will go to high power electronics (upto 24KV) through a backplane connector. I am complete novice in layout, any suggestions are welcome, if possible suggest some links/books/tutorials.

Thanks

All the parameters are important! You're probably going to want to have controlled impedance traces. I'm not sure this is a good first board for a novice. Two processors, gigabit Ethernet etc., require careful routing. If this is your first board you are bound to have major, costly mistakes.

All the parameters are important! You're probably going to want to have controlled impedance traces. I'm not sure this is a good first board for a novice. Two processors, gigabit Ethernet etc., require careful routing. If this is your first board you are bound to have major, costly mistakes.

Thanks for the comment,
I understand that this board would be a challenge, but I've designed much complex systems than this one, previously, but was limited to just schematic, I understand all the PCB jargon but I've never done a complete layout, so was skeptical about the various steps needed in a proper multi-layer board layout, moreover, the whole point of getting the physical and electrical constraints right is to ensure that I don't have any costly mistakes.

Just "getting the constraints right" is only the starting point, they only go just so far-you still have to route the board. You have to place your components properly. You have to account for trace lengths (skew). You have to account for heat dissipation. You have to account for manufacturability. You get the point.

Hopefully, you'll have someone review your design; that always helps. Are you going to perform Signal Integrity analysis (e.g., Hyperlynx or Ansys)?

Just "getting the constraints right" is only the starting point, they only go just so far-you still have to route the board. You have to place your components properly. You have to account for trace lengths (skew). You have to account for heat dissipation. You have to account for manufacturability. You get the point.

Hopefully, you'll have someone review your design; that always helps. Are you going to perform Signal Integrity analysis (e.g., Hyperlynx or Ansys)?

Yes, I will be performing Signal integrity and Power integrity checks using Hyperlynx, I think I have got the placement right according to the layout/application notes of all the components that I have used in my design.
I might also do a Pre-Layout analysis in Hyperlynx.

Well, good luck. I guess the critical things to pay attention to are your high-speed signals. Hyperlynx should help you avoid some big problems. You might want to also consider testability-think about how you are going to have to debug this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back