Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Translation and optimization - logic synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1caw ex ua6bqg

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all!
I have a question about translation step during logic synthesis. For example, I have RTL description of the multiplier (assign C=A*B).
During translation step logic synthesis tool will convert my multiplier RTL into general unoptimized netlist and then optimize it (during optimization stage using constraints) and map it (during mapping step using target libraries).
The question is how translator choose realization of the multiplier at the gate-level (there are a lot of them at the gate-level)?

Is it correct that during translation step EDA tool will recognize my RTL as multiplier and translate it into "abstract black-box multiplier" and only during optimization step convert it into desired gate-level multiplier realization?

logic synthesis flow.png

Yes, 'translation' step is able to capture high-level intent and map it to a multiplier. Internally the tools know how to implement different architectures for multipliers, adders, dividers, etc. The right architecture will be selected based on your constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back