Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compare power and speed of a design among different FPGA technology devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafimiet

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know, how can we compare a design fairly with other designs using other FPGA technologies for power consumption and speed?

Usually, the easiest way is to compare the FMax and power consuption for a specific design that has the same functionality.
All tool vendors provide timing analysis and power analysis tools.

Usually, the easiest way is to compare the FMax and power consuption for a specific design that has the same functionality.
I want to compare my work (modification of a previous architecture) that I implement on newer FPGA family (using 6-LUT for example) with the previous architecture, which was implemented on older FPGA family (may be using 4-LUT). Will it be fair to compare Fmax and power consumption? Can we normalize power and speed so that it somehow becomes technology independent?

I dont see how "normalisation" would be appropriate. How can a lower power part that runs faster be "equivolent" to an older, slower more power hungry part?

Surely newer/faster/less power is always better?

Surely newer/faster/less power is always better?

My question was not about which technology is slower or power hungry. Rather the question is that I want to compare my design (not my FPGA board) with previous design (whose results are available to me, when it was implemented on older technology). It should somehow give me an idea, that if I implement both designs on same technology, which one is better in terms of speed or power. One solution forward to my problem is that I should have implemented both architectures on same FPGA board, but due to lack of complete details regarding the previous architecture, I can not implement that design, So I have to consider the results that they have presented in a research paper.

Then you can only use absolute results. The only way to get a direct comparison would be to compile it in the same technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back