Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplitude or RMS measure of PPM signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleuser

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would like to design analog cirquit dedicated to measure pulse amplitude of PPM signal.
The frequency of signal is 5MHz and pulse width have only 10ns.
Amplitude changes from 10mV to 1,5V <- I must measure it.
During the experiments it turned out that the IC dedicated to measure RMS value are sensitive to the pulse position.
I need a stable visual value dependent on the amplitude of the PPM pulse.
The system does not have to be fast and very precise.
Help.

Pulse Position Modulation. I need to measure the pulses amplitude to control gain. It must be analog circuit because pulses have only 10 ns width. Next I use ADC to measue DC signal from this circuit.

If it's true PPM then it's only the position of the pulse that's important.
Why are you concerned about its amplitude? :???:

Yes, it is true PPM. I need to control gain. How to make this using, for example, OP-AMP's or specialized IC? I tested AD8361 but it is sensitive to the pulse position.

Obviously RMS measurement is inappropriate for this application. Use a peak detector that determines the pulse magnitude.

FvM, thanks. Could you send me an example of schematic of this peak detector (for my frequency 5MHz and 10ns pulse width)?
Will this detector be able to see pulses below 100mV?

Status
Not open for further replies.