Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Through hole component on a one single layer PCB (IMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to find a SMD common mode choke with the same specifications than this one:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/kemet/SC-05-30J/399-10652-ND/4290718

At the moment it hasn't been possible, so I'm looking for solutions to fit a through hole component on an IMS single layer PCB. The PCB is sitting on a heat sink ( that's why it is single layer), so we can't make drill holes all the way through. I have though on cutting the legs of the common mode choke and solder it by hand, but it doesn't look a very secure solution. Any idea to fit it on?.

Thanks,
Winsu

Hi,

with an approximate weight of 30g it will be hard to to in SMD.
The problem is the mechanical ruggedness against vibration.

Solutions:
* use a suitable glue for better mechanical ruggedness
* reduce the specification for your product regarding acceleration / vibration.

Klaus

Reactions: Winsu

Winsu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don't see a SMD CM choke with same parameters. There's e.g. Laird CMX1211W182B-10, 9A - 1.8 mH or Coilcraft CG3528-AL, 3.1 A - 3 mH. You may need to make a custom designed SMD coil. I agree with KlausST that weight of large SMD coils may be a problem.

Winsu

Hi,

Maybe not stable enough: SMD sil sockets to accommodate those four pins.

Winsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back