Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how LC network is lossless. and less sensitive to component variations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdesignerbeginner

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

can some one tell me how an LC network is a lossless n/w. I have read in many books that LC n/w is a lossless n/w but could not find the answer how? secondly. low LC ladder are less sensitive to component variation?

can some one tell me how an LC network is a lossless n/w. I have read in many books that LC n/w is a lossless n/w but could not find the answer how?

Both inductors and capacitors are ideally pure reactive components, not dissipative, as resirtors are.

secondly. low LC ladder are less sensitive to component variation?

From where did you took this information ?

LC ladder are less sensitive to component variation?

Perhaps in the sense that the resonant frequency is based chiefly on the L & C values, and is less influenced by neighboring resistances.
An simple RC or RL network could have its rolloff curve affected by unknown resistance upstream or downstream.

Furthermore, in the LC network, resonant frequency depends on the square root of L x C. if you want to change the resonant frequency a little, you need to change one component a lot That is, if you change L or C by 4x, you only change the resonant frequency by 2x.

Ideal inductors and capacitors are lossless (by definition).
Real ones are not, and additionally have nonideal reactive
elements (ESL for capacitors along with the straight-loss
ESR; interwinding capacitance, leakage inductance and
series resistance for inductors.

The "less sensitive to variation" is a mystery because
otherwise component values wouldn't matter. Maybe this
is a simpleminded observation that f=1/sqrt(L*C) so the
resonant frequency has a square-root rather than linear
dependence on either one.

But an LC tank is certainly more sensitive to inductor
variation than it is to resistance variations, which it has
none of (besides the parasitics).