Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Infineon BGT24MTR11 mmic: should RF in/outs be decoupled from ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgy.Moshkin

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am creating layout for testing BGT24MTR11. In my case RF in/outs must be connected to single ridge waveguides, through microstrip to waveguide transitions. So currently all microstrip paths are tied to ground.

I found two reference designs where:
1) Patch array do not have dc path to ground. In this case Rf in/outs either directly connect patch arrays.
2) Patch arrays have DC path to ground (probably ESD protection). In this case RF in/outs connected to patch arrays through microstrip DC block (coupled λ/4 lines). It makes me think that RF in/outs have some DC offset and could not be tied to ground (DC).

Although documentation states that:
MMIC provides short circuit to GND for all RF pins
Why there is DC block? (Sense2GoL demoboard). Can someone confirm that RF in/outs may be have direct connection to ground (outside of MMIC)?

Last edited:

Figure 7 of the data sheet shows an internal inductor to ground on on all RF connectionsn and as you say the absolute maximum rating gives 0V min/max for the RF pins. In that case it looks like the RF terminals should not be connected to any DC supply other than ground.
As the pins are already tied to ground floating should be OK so long as there is no chance of static discharge to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back