Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OverVoltage Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am sorry if my question does not provide all the requirements since i do not have much details. There is a requirement of Load dump detection i do not know much about it. I found the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_dump. I am reading the battery voltage using ADC. I detect the over voltage if the count increases some threshold. This Load dump is any way different from over voltage? How do i differentiate? Very confused. How the test case should be if i want to replicate on the bench?

Hi,

the article says:
large voltage spikes from the inductive generator(s)

But a battery isn´t an inductive generator. For sure there my be some stray inductance caused by wiring. The stored energy (in this inductance) is very low. The resulting pulse will be very short, about impossible to detect with an ADC. Especially if there are some capacitors in the supply or in the signal to the ADC.

You want to detect overvoltage....but what do you do with this information?

If you just want to detect a "disconnected" load, then I recommend to measure the load current.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.