Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible Source Resistance with DC-DC Boost Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolendo

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using a DC-DC boost converter to power a pair of 18W LED panel lights which are connected in parallel. Each panel have about 60 LEDs and requires 56VDC to illuminate to the desired intensity. This is measured using a light meter. I am using a 40W solar panel as a power source which produces around 22VDC in full sun. The DC-DC converter has both voltage and current adjustment. When the solar panel is exposed to the sun, the lights come on and the system works perfectly. However I have noticed that if I disconnect one of the light panels and then immediately reconnect it, the light output from both light panels increases by exactly 50%. This is repeatable regardless of the voltage input. I wondered if this was possible source resistance in the boost converter and how it can be overcome. I have read on another forum about Bistability and wonder if the different outputs are a feature of this. I of course am trying to achieve the highest output as the norm as it does not appear to be exceeding the capacity of the converter. Has anyone any ideas of what might be happening and how to maximise the output without my needing to disconnect and reconnect one of the lights?

Hi,

such a textual description often is not very useful.
Please post:
* schematic - or at least a draft of your circuit
* exact type of converter, LEDs, panels maybe give links to datasheets.
* a graph (can be handmade) about the voltages/currents you see.

Klaus

Disconnecting a string under load might trigger some
sort of fault response, which then does not clear
until power cycle. Modern PMICs can be pretty
elaborate. We do not know what the guts of your
boost converter might be, to say. But that's the
smell of it, from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.