Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change transistor s-parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How would the s-parameters of a common source transistor (2 port network) change, if you added an inductor from the source to ground? I know a common source transistor amplifier is a two port network, but if you added a component between source and ground, wouldn't that change the s-parameters of that two port network? And how?

Thanks

Anything connected to the transistor will change s-parameters.What is your purpose ??

Anything connected to the transistor will change s-parameters.What is your purpose ??
I want to optimise between noise, stability, and gain. So I have seen in some LNA designs (ex. ATF55143 datasheets have transmission line or inductor at the source) it might be good to use transmission line degeneration at the source, but I want to calculate and see the k stability and gain frequency response after adding the inductor or transmission line.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I want to optimise between noise, stability, and gain. So I have seen in some LNA designs (ex. ATF55143 datasheets have transmission line or inductor at the source) it might be good to use transmission line degeneration at the source, but I want to calculate and see the k stability and gain frequency response after adding the inductor or transmission line.

In order to all these, you have to use a RF simulator.Nobody knows what'll happen when you connect a degeneration inductor at the emitter/source.
A RF simulator-preferably Keysight ADS- is a must.

In order to all these, you have to use a RF simulator.Nobody knows what'll happen when you connect a degeneration inductor at the emitter/source.
A RF simulator-preferably Keysight ADS- is a must.

That's true and thanks, but I don't have free trial for ADS anymore (I used my trials 3 times for 3 months already, they won't let me use it anymore) and I'm interested in designing my own... So, I'm thinking about doing trial and error, till I get the best design... I'm just wondering how you would calculate the s parameters using inductive degeneration, or even resistor and bypass at emitter/source... My guess would be that I would treat the transistor as a 3 port device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back