Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generate clocks and their clock uncertainties

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpv

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

If there's a generated clock which is a divided down version of an oscillator clock, how would the edge-to-edge and duty cycle uncertainties be propagated from source clock to the generated clock?

Say there's an oscillator clock clk_osc

Code:
create_clock -name clk_osc \
             -period 100 \
             u_osc/out

And a generated clock clk_gen_osc from the clk_osc

Code:
create_generated_clock -name clk_gen_osc \
                       -divide_by 2 \
                       -source [get_pins u_osc/out] \
                        u_clk_gen/out

I'm putting an edge-to-edge uncertainty of 1% and 10% on duty for the oscillator clock as follows :

Code:
# edge-to-edge
set_clock_uncertainty -setup [expr 100*1/100] -rise_from clk_osc -rise_to clk_osc 
set_clock_uncertainty -setup [expr 100*1/100] -fall_from clk_osc -fall_to clk_osc 

# duty cycle
set_clock_uncertainty -setup [expr 100*10/100] -rise_from clk_osc -fall_to clk_osc 
set_clock_uncertainty -setup [expr 100*10/100] -fall_from clk_osc -rise_to clk_osc

My question is how will the uncertainties of clk_gen_osc look like.

1. Will it be same as clk_osc?
  2. Will the edge-to-edge uncertainty of clk_osc become duty-uncertainty of clk_gen_osc, and edge-to-edge uncertainty of clk_gen_osc twice the edge-to-edge uncertainty of clk_osc ?
  3. Will the uncertainty depend on whether the generated clock is from a flop based divider or pulse dropped version through a clock gate ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

not easy to answer.

lets say the input clock rising edge has an uncertainty of 1%, and you use this edge for the divider..
* then the input clock duty cycle plays no role. But this is theortecitally only

now imagine a clock divider "/n".
only every n-th input rising edge will cause a edge at the output signal.
--> Then I´d say 1% input clock uncertainty will become 1%/n of output clock uncertainty.
--> and (2*1%)/n in duty cycle uncrertainty.

But in detail it depends on the frequency spectrum of the input clock jitter.
Since the uncertainty is integrated over n cycles
--> a low frequency jitter will be almost added up to the input clock uncertainty of 1% (which means a change in frequency)
--> a high frequency clock jitter may be almost cancelled out.

Klaus

Reactions: harpv

harpv

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Thank for the answer, appreciate the details you've given here.
I agree most cases are context dependent, just wanted to get a general idea here.

I have couple of follow up questions.

Hi,

not easy to answer.

lets say the input clock rising edge has an uncertainty of 1%, and you use this edge for the divider..
* then the input clock duty cycle plays no role. But this is theortecitally only

Can you explain why it is only theoretically correct ?

now imagine a clock divider "/n".
only every n-th input rising edge will cause a edge at the output signal.
--> Then I´d say 1% input clock uncertainty will become 1%/n of output clock uncertainty.
--> and (2*1%)/n in duty cycle uncrertainty.

But in detail it depends on the frequency spectrum of the input clock jitter.
Since the uncertainty is integrated over n cycles
--> a low frequency jitter will be almost added up to the input clock uncertainty of 1% (which means a change in frequency)
--> a high frequency clock jitter may be almost cancelled out.

Klaus

Just to make sure I understand this correctly,

1. A low frequency jitter of 1% might get transferred as n*1% jitter on a divide-by-n generated clock. If this 'n' is big, say 100, then the jitter will really get bad over time for the generated clock?
  2. A high frequency jitter of 1% means it'll not be n*1% for the generated clock since it disappears over time. I guess to put a value to 'n' here will be case dependent.

Thanks,
Hari

Hi,

Can you explain why it is only theoretically correct ?
The "theretical" is in the assumption that only the falling edge is influenced by the duty cycle jitter. This - I think - is not very realistic.

A low frequency jitter of 1% might get transferred as n*1% jitter on a divide-by-n generated clock. If this 'n' is big, say 100, then the jitter will really get bad over time for the generated clock?
No.
I didn´t say "n*1%" but I said : "1%/n"

You could simply use Excel to run a simulation. Or just a pencil and paper...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back