Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PFC inductor Desing @ 600 -1000 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnan012

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I want design boost inductor for PFC regulator. Here are the parameters

Input 85 to 250V
Out put 380 VDC
Fs 100kHz
Out put power 600 watts

I want to use Sendust CS508060 toroidal core. In some application notes, term NI (ampere-turn) is used against core AL value and in some notes L*i2 (mili-Henry*ampere Squared) is used against core Al value. What is the difference between these terms?

"Inductor design with DC bias" what does it mean?

regards

Attachments

• OD508.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 99

AL is specified against amp-turn, is telling you when you are approaching saturation or not. Core saturation is reached at some magnetomotive force and when this is reached, the AL value respectively the inductance drops, almost acting like a short circuit. So you should keep your amp-turn in the upper part of that chart (where AL is big and hence designed for).

"Inductor design with DC bias" what does it mean?
It has a DC current apart from the AC ripple current which shifts the operating point in the hysteresis loop.

Thanks for reply.

So the average current is the DC current and ripple current is the AC current?

What is the relation between NI (ampere-turn) and L*i2 (mili-Henry*ampere Squared).

Status
Not open for further replies.