Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a microwave amplifier, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a 2.4 GHz microwave amplifier using an ATF 54143 (LNA, but not including the noise, I still need to learn about this, because doesn't bias design effect the NF also?). Ok, going on to the main question, do I need dc blocking capacitors in my design and or rf chokes: https://imgur.com/a/CH8GT ? wouldnt this lower the noise? one more question, what do you think about my overal design, do you think it would work (my input and output matching networks are correct and I added resistors for my shunt components and shunt 550 ohm resistors at input and output of transistor, because I found my k will be greater than 1 at all frequencies). Would it be better if my shunt resistors were lower in value?

thanks

Using resistors before the transistor is generally a bad thing because it adds noise.If you can do the matching with open stubs it will have a better NF performance. You always need to use dc block and rf chokes it's just the matter of if you are gonna use a stripline design(which are made in higher frequencies) or a discrete elements(for 2.4 any smd component will do 603,402,1206 etc).Because if you don't use rf choke your rf signal will leak down from the bypass capacitors. Same goes for dc block if you don't use dc block instead of going down from source to drain it will just move along the rf line.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back