Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation Box on ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrina

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello every body!
What is the need of Simulation Box on the FEM 3D view? when it is added and surround the design?

I understand that you want to import ADS substrates & designs into your own 3D simulator. Is this for personal use or for a competitive product?

Simulation area in FEM is always finite, so we need to define a simulation boundary, and assign boundary conditions.

Relevant for your case: Many ADS substrates are created for Momentum. Momentum uses planar MoM method with infinite substrate size. That means dielectric layers are defined only in the substrate file, and then automatically exist in the EM model, without drawing any object. But if we use that substrate for FEM, which uses finite simulation area, what is the size of these dielectric layers? That is where the simulation box size becomes relevant: it defines the simulation area and also sets the finite dimension for "infinite" dielectric layers that have no bounding area layer defined.

I understand that you want to import ADS substrates & designs into your own 3D simulator. Is this for personal use or for a competitive product?

Simulation area in FEM is always finite, so we need to define a simulation boundary, and assign boundary conditions.

Relevant for your case: Many ADS substrates are created for Momentum. Momentum uses planar MoM method with infinite substrate size. That means dielectric layers are defined only in the substrate file, and then automatically exist in the EM model, without drawing any object. But if we use that substrate for FEM, which uses finite simulation area, what is the size of these dielectric layers? That is where the simulation box size becomes relevant: it defines the simulation area and also sets the finite dimension for "infinite" dielectric layers that have no bounding area layer defined.

Im using the substrate for FEM, I defined my substrate as shown below
2.png
Two layers have different BAL, and one layer dont have BAL also the Air part.
When I dispaly FEM 3D view, the layer that i didnt define BAL have a defined Size, i dont know how it is added and the value how fixed
4.png
Then when i show the simulation Box, i notice that it surrounds all the structure and have same width and length as the layer in the middle, I must take the simulation Box in consideration when i import my gds and subtrate file or not
PS: Im a student working on an end of studies' project

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 128

When I dispaly FEM 3D view, the layer that i didnt define BAL have a defined Size, i dont know how it is added and the value how fixed

This is set in the emSetup options:

substrate_extension.PNG

In your EM preview, all layers have the same lateral (xy) size in the pink screenshot, but maybe I misinterpet that?
EDIT EDIT: If the small blocks inside the pink air are the alumina blocks, then priorities (precedence) are fine. I just misunderstood your testcase.

the simulation Box in consideration when i import my gds and subtrate file or not

ADS FEM will use the bounding box of your drawn object plus the extensions defined in the emSetup.

For results, simulation box size and boundary conditions matter. This is true for all FEM, not specific to ADS. Often, you want some space between circuit and boundary. If you need help on that, maybe you can find someone in your university group with FEM experience to help you.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back