+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Merge issue Advanced Design System (empty GDS file when exporting after merging )

Hello all!
    I'm wondering what does ''Merge'' the structure mean and why we need to merge our design and when?
    In some cases, I make my design flatten merged then I exported GDS file, I got an empty gds file? Why information are lost when exporting?

•   Alt13th February 2018, 09:16

advertising

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    597 / 597
    Level

Re: Merge issue Advanced Design System (empty GDS file when exporting after merging )

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrina View Post
    In some cases, I make my design flatten merged then I exported GDS file, I got an empty gds file? Why information are lost when exporting?
    This is not normal. You must have made a mistake. Show in more detail what you did.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   Alt13th February 2018, 12:38

advertising

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: Merge issue Advanced Design System (empty GDS file when exporting after merging )

Quote Originally Posted by volker@muehlhaus View Post
    This is not normal. You must have made a mistake. Show in more detail what you did.
    I just selected all the structure then i choose Edit>component> Flatten then Edit>Merge
    then when i exported GDS file there are no geometric information

•   Alt13th February 2018, 14:53

advertising

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    597 / 597
    Level

As said: this is not the normal behaviour.
    It is difficult to help you without going to your specific case. Upload your workspace and/or show screenshots.

1 members found this post helpful.

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

As said: this is not the normal behaviour.
    It is difficult to help you without going to your specific case. Upload your workspace and/or show screenshots.
    i worked on the LTCC Balun (I found on ADS examples)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	144537
    then i exported to GDS, the export is done successfully bu this message appears

Name:	22.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	144538
    Then, i got a GDS file when i convert it to GDT file it doesnt contain any geometric info

Name:	33.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	144539

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    597 / 597
    Level

then i exported to GDS, the export is done successfully bu this message appears
    The export is NOT successful. The message says that the AEL code (artwork macro function) for drawing is missing. It seems that this is "coded" layout, not drawn, and you see some cached layout on screen. If the drawing code isn't there, exploding that layout fails, and your layout is empty.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how you broke this, but with the sample LTCC example in my ADS2016 installation, it works perfectly fine: flatten > merge > GDSII and the resulting layout is fine.

Name:	flatten_merge.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	144544
    Last edited by volker@muehlhaus; 13th February 2018 at 18:16.

•   Alt13th February 2018, 18:17

advertising

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

The export is NOT successful. The message says that the AEL code (artwork macro function) for drawing is missing. It seems that this is "coded" layout, not drawn, and you see some cached layout on screen. If the drawing code isn't there, exploding that layout fails, and your layout is empty.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how you broke this, but with the sample LTCC example in my ADS2016 installation, it works perfectly fine: flatten > merge > GDSII and the resulting layout is fine.

Name:	flatten_merge.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	144544
    I redo the same steps 3 times: Select the structure> Flatten>Merge then export to GDSII file always the same problem. I don't know where is the problem! can you send me the workspace of the LTCC Balun to test it maybe i changed something on LAyout

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    597 / 597
    Level

can you send me the workspace of the LTCC Balun to test it maybe i changed something on LAyout
    You can get it from the ADS main window: File > Open > Example ... and then look in the FEM directory.

--[[ ]]--