Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I would like to set up a small server on the desktop to host a personal page

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfminformatica

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently bought a domain (.com.br) for 1 year and I have a computer in my electronics workshop, I would like to set up a personal page to advertise my electronics repair services and for that I need a small server to host the my page, is it possible?

If so, which linux version is the most appropriate? what's the best program to use, would you have any book to indicate?

Hi.

This doesnt sound like a huge ammount of internet access.. or a huge database.
Thus I think almost any PC hardware of the past 8 years should do the job.
Any linux with a web server like Apache should work.

Klaus

Apache (or LAMP) would be my first choice and it will run on almost anything.
Check your ISP will allow you to host remotely and give you a fixed IP address first and make sure they can point DNS at it. If you IP address is dynamic or they won't set DNS to it, nobody will be able to connect to your system.

The usual way of doing this is to host on the ISPs own server, it generally gives much faster access to users and is easier to set up. You use your PC to compose the web pages but then upload then (Filezilla etc.) to the ISP to host them. To design web pages with Linux I recommend "Pinegrow" and "Quick and Easy Webbuilder". Pinegrow has far more flexibility to design pages but relies on other programs to upload them. QnE has everything you need built in but can be more restrictive in page design.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.