Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v pwm to 24v dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginojo

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm trying to dim a led-strip that is running on 24v. When I hook it up to a power-supply it's nicely dimming from 24v to 18v. Turns off at +/- 18v.

Now I' trying to regulate the brightness with an esp32 (arduino like). I have created the following circuit:

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 20.38.29.png

But the problem is that when the PWM is 0, the led-strip doesn't turn off completely. It's 'stuck' at 19v.

I'm probably using the wrong FET. Could any of you guide me? I'm kinda hopeless at the moment.

Thanks

I assume this is just the initial stage of your experiments, due the output expander IC in the current configuration is perhaps unnecessary (a single bipolar transistor could do the job); anyway, adding between the gate of the IRFB4610 and the 74HCT245 output, a Diode-series/Resistor (pull-down) network, could ensure a sufficient voltage drop for the MOSFET do not enter on its ohmic region. Keep in mind that the logic level 0 in the TTL (HCT on this case) standard is not always zero volt.

Hi,

In opposite to the true TTL ICs ... the HCTs switch pretty good to GND.
Typ 0.001V @ 20uA.

You use the HCT245 to level shift from 3.3V to 5V. You maybe could avoid this with a Mosfet with even lower V_gs_th.
Or you use a single gate IC, like 74HCT1G00.

The circuit should work. The PWM duty cycle determines brightness.
50% duty cycle is about the same as 50% average current and 50% brightness.
But the human eye is not linear...

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back