Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interface for serial to parallel conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmaye

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
I am trying to conduct an experiment using Arduino. I have connected ADC MCP3008 using SPI protocol and for a given analog input, it displays the corresponding digital value of the serial monitor. Its working
I have connected DAC0808 to the Arduino. It takes in parallel inputs and give analog output which is also working fine.
Now finally i have to give the analog input to ADC, connect the output of ADC to the DAC and try to get back the original input. I have no clue how to do this. Can any one of you help me with this?

Now finally i have to give the analog input to ADC, connect the output of ADC to the DAC and try to get back the original input.

I was curious to know what the purpose to do this, which in short, would be to obtain the original signal without going through the Arduino, that is, doing an A/D conversion followed by a D/A conversiom, is it ?

It does sound a pointless exercise but if it is only being done for interest: Just read the MCP3008 and send the data to the DAC0808.
The only thing to be aware of is you are converting a 10-bit input to an 8-bit output. That gives you two options:
1. ignore the two most significant bits from the MCP3008 which leaves you with a high resolution reading but only up to 1/4 of the maximum value -or-
2. ignore the two least significant bits which gives you full voltage range but at lower resolution.

Brian.

Hello Andre,

I am new to using Arduino. I am just trying to understand its working and get used to it. This would be a good exercise.

Thanks for the reply Brian. My concern is that the data is read serially but has to be transmitted in parallel. I am quite unsure of how this can be done using Arduino.

Hi,

Just read the MCP3008 and send the data to the DAC0808.
This is all.
* Read byte(s) from SPI input
* maybe do shift (as explained above)
* write byte to port.

In simplest case 2 ASM commands
With shift of two bits and two bytes:
ReadH, ReadL, ShiftH, ShiftL, ShiftH, ShiftL, out = 7 commands

Klaus

Thank you. I shall try this and get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.